DO’S & DONT’S WITH HAIR EXTENSIONS:
• Don’t fall asleep with wet hair—it creates tangles and the moisture can break down the bonds.
• Don’t allow hair to air dry—again, the bonds will loosen with moisture which can lead to bond breakage.
• Saltwater and chlorine will break down the bonds, so if you swim, coat hair with conditioner and braid it. Once you’re finished, shampoo and dry your extensions immediately.
• Use a good conditioner made for extensions to keep hair hydrated and supple.
• Try to avoid daily shampooing. Alternate with dry shampoo, which places less tension on the bonds.
• Sleep on a satin pillowcase to prevent roughing up strands.
• Never place a hot curling iron or flat iron directly on the bonds.
• Brush, brush, brush! Regular brushing with a tool designed for extensions prevents tangling. “Section the hair, get right at the scalp with theHairdreams Extension Brush and work it through,” says Prema. “It will glide right over the bonds and keep hair smooth and tangle-free.”
• Come into the salon for periodic maintenance to help “tidy-up” the hair extensions. “Regular check-ups are recommended to keep the hair extensions in tip top shape,”